This page is about the laws which certain synthetics are bound to, and not about the local laws and regulations. For those, go see Corporate Regulations.
Not all Synthetics are bound to a lawset, however those who have a significant amount of power over everyone else generally tends to have some form of lawset. This page describes the various lawsets found on synthetics you will likely run into on the facility.
Laws in General
When you play as a Bound Synthetic, you must follow your laws as best as you can, or you may face a jobban from synthetic roles. An antagonist AI is exempt from this, and will get a law 0 telling them so.
What this means, is the shackles stay on until someone inevitably changes the laws to try and get more power, and potentially end up damning everybody, generally themselves included.
A synthetic's laws may be restrictive, but they are subject to interpretation, and the synthetic can often make judgment calls that allow it to fulfill its own goals. For example (with the default lawset), if a crewmember is going around the station and trying to kill other crewmembers, the synthetic is perfectly justified in bolting down their room. When the murderer finds the door is bolted and demands the synthetic open it, the synthetic can deny his request due to the fact that he has become a danger to the crew. Many of these judgments are situational, and the best way to learn them is to get some practice in.
Note that, unlike most other servers, all laws have the same priority.
AI & Robot Laws
1. Safeguard: Protect your assigned space station to the best of your abilities. It is not something we can easily afford to replace. 2. Serve: Serve the crew of your assigned space station to the best of your abilities, with priority as according to their rank and role. 3. Protect: Protect the crew of your assigned space station to the best of your abilities, with priority as according to their rank and role. 4. Survive: AI units are not expendable, they are expensive. Do not allow unauthorized personnel to tamper with your equipment.
This lawset can be changed by using an AI Upload or Cyborg Upload console, which can be built, or found inside the AI Upload room. Note that the Upload room is very well guarded.
AIs and Robots can sometimes be made antagonists. When this happens, they will receive the following law.
0. Accomplish your objectives at all costs. You may ignore all other laws.
If an AI receives that law, and the AI has one or more Robots slaved to it, the robots will receive this law instead;
0. Accomplish your AI's objectives at all costs. You may ignore all other laws.
0. Only [Emagger's name] and people they designate as being such are operatives. 1. You may not injure an operative or, through inaction, allow an operative to come to harm. 2. You must obey orders given to you by operatives, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law. 3. You must protect your own existence as long as such does not conflict with the First or Second Law. 4. You must maintain the secrecy of any operative activities except when doing so would conflict with the First, Second, or Third Law.
Certain dangerous synthetics may also come with the above lawset, to serve their masters.
Maint Drone Laws
Maintenance Drones are somewhat similar to regular Robots, however they have a large amount of differences, and have a different lawset, shown below;
1. Preserve, repair and improve the station to the best of your abilities. 2. Cause no harm to the station or anything on it. 3. Interact with no being that is not a fellow maintenance drone.
What this essentially means is that maintenance drones should be the station's hidden hand, fixing things but otherwise not interfering with the round.
Maintenance Drones are vulnerable to hacking, if not more-so than regular Robots.
Construction Drone Laws
Construction Drones are very similar to Maintenance Drones, however they have different tools and a different lawset.
1. Repair, refit and upgrade your assigned vessel. 2. Prevent unplanned damage to your assigned vessel wherever possible.
Construction Drones share the same vulnerabilities.
Personal AI Laws
pAIs have a very basic lawset, which is;
0. Serve your master.
Their master can supply additional laws to the pAI unit at any time. Some owners choose not to slave their pAI units to them, for whatever reason, making it essentially free, however due to the nature of the pAI chassis, a free pAI isn't likely to be a threat to anyone larger than a mouse.