|Access: Library Private Study|
Additional Access: N/A
Supervisors: Head of Personnel
Duties: Read and write books and hand them to people, stock bookshelves, report on station news
Guides: No external guides
Quote: ONE DAY WHILE ANDY WA- *THUD* *BRRRRZT*
The Librarian spends most of their time in the Library printing out books and lending them out, or roaming the station with a camera and paper pad to build news stories. Books in the library database are kept between rounds, and can be added to by enterprising writers.
You will be giving out books, on the extremely rare occasion that someone requests a book. You will also be replacing the Chaplain's Bibles if need be. The final area of your job is to upload new books to the archive. So, take your pen and paper, and write down some screenplays! Printing a few books is cool, but don't go and print 100 copies all in a pile. All it does is crash people that right-click it. You can also feel free to use the Newscaster and report on station news. You have a camera and spare film in your back room and more free time than just about anyone else.
The Librarian and their Library
First things first, stock your Library with books that matter and tag the ones already there. At the start of the station, your bookshelf's will have some books, but they'll be quite disorganised. Your fellow crew members will not want to stay in a Library that has no books. To fix this use the Library's Check In/Out Computer's and use its function, "4. Connect to External Archive". Here is the main dish of your sum total of existence, to sort out in the mess of books, and find only the BEST. The books are not sorted, or sortable, and look to have no order what so ever. You will even find many books hand copy's in the archive. To retrieve the selected book, simply order using that book's number, and the Check-In/Out Computer's printer will hum as it produces a completely bound book.
The barcode scanner will be needed for checking books into the local library's computer. It has 4 settings they are as follows:
- Mode 0 : Scan book to local buffer.
- Mode 1 : Scan book to local buffer and set associated computer buffer to match.
- Mode 2 : Scan book to local buffer, attempt to check in scanned book.
- Mode 3 : Scan book to local buffer, attempt to add book to general inventory.
(Note:Use the scanner on the computer, otherwise it wont work)
The Library is not you workspace, but a home, to you and your books. Keep your books segregated, and sort them on their labelled book-shelves. Humour, Religious, Fiction, Self Help, Adult, and the back room's Forbidden Knowledge.
How To Add A Book To The Database
- Get Paper and a Pen.
- Write your properly formatted story.
- Take your story to the East Back of the Library to the Book Binder, and slap that epic story onto the binder. This will spit out your new award winning story.
- Still have that pen? Good, you can sign your name, add more content, and even title it.
- This book is ready to be send through to the NanoTrasen database! Ask your Librarian to scan this book into the computer, using the scanner.
- Once scanned, use the Check In/Out Computer's 5th function, "5. Upload New Title to Archive"
- Here you can change the category, change the author once more, and view the title.
- After reviewing the book, and being ready to publish, use the "UPLOAD" command.
- Emagging the library computer causes it to spit out an Arcane tome. You need to be a real cultist to read it though, so unless you are one, you can only use it to try to confuse Security.
- A voice changer and your tape recorder can go a hell of a long way
- Using wirecutters on a book hollows it out enough to store a small item
Gimmicks: One might not think there's much to work with as a lowly Librarian, but remembering that the Librarian is also the station Reporter. Make up sensationalist gossip to set the crew against one-another! Fabricate fantastic new stories by staging crimes! Break into restricted area to take photographs, steal confidential documents, compile a dossier, and fax it off to SifGov to bring Nanotrasen's corruption crashing down. As a proper Librarian, your greatest assets are your book printer and your completely unassuming nature. Few people would suspect a Librarian of murder, making it the perfect cover for a corporate assassin. You can use hollowed out books to smuggle tools, telecrystals, and uplinks into prison-- stage a prison escape as a cover for your nefarious activities, or because you Just Hate Jails.
| Jobs on Polaris|
|Command||Station Director, Head of Personnel, Command Secretary|
|Security||Head of Security, Security Officer, Warden, Detective|
|Engineering||Chief Engineer, Station Engineer, Atmospheric Technician|
|Medical||Chief Medical Officer, Medical Doctor, Paramedic, Chemist, Psychologist|
|Science||Research Director, Scientist, Roboticist, Xenobiologist|
|Supply||Quartermaster, Cargo Technician, Shaft Miner|
|Exploration||Explorer, Search and Rescue, Pilot|
|Civilian||Assistant, Janitor, Bartender, Chef, Botanist, Chaplain, Librarian, Internal Affairs|
|Synthetic||AI, Robot, Maintenance Drone, Personal AI|
|Antagonists||Traitor, Changeling, Mercenary, Raider, Infiltrator, Cultist, Technomancer, Ninja, Revolutionary, Loyalist|
|Special||Emergency Response Team, Trader, Renegade|